AUSANGATE “THE HIGHEST ANDEAN APU” TREK 3DAYS/2NIGHTS
For the Quechua people, Ausangate is an “Apu”, a sacred mountain. With its (6384m.a.s.l/20944 feet), it’s the highest mountain in the area, making it the most sacred of all the Apus. As the glaciers and snow of the high peaks slowly melt, they form rivers, sending water to the villages below. Water means life; therefore these mountains are the givers and origins of life.
The trails that surround the mountain were used by the Incas as a pilgrimage route. They would take this long journey to ask the Apu questions to problems they were unable to solve and to give offerings in hope the mountain would bring them good fortune.
We arranged a short program which will lead you to visit the Ausangate Mountain and its multicolor lagoons that harbor local and migratory birds.
DAY 1: CUSCO – TINKI – UPIS:
Very early, we will pick you up from your hotel and drive for two hours in private transport arriving to the small village of Tinki (3800m.a.s.l./12464ft). You will cross through beautiful countryside and several traditional villages including Urcos, Catca and Ocongate.
After meeting the support team and the horses, you will have time to relax and take the lunch surrounded by the magnificent scenery of the Cordillera Vilcanota, with a great view of Ausangate Mountain. You will trek for four hours until reach the hot springs at Upis (4400m.a.s.l./14432ft) which offer fantastic views of Ausangate at the end of the valley. You will spend the night close to the hotspring.
Hiking time: 4 hours
Hiking distance: (9.5 Km /5.9miles)
Highest point: (4400m.a.s.l./14432ft)
DAY 2: UPIS – QOMERQOCHA – OTORONGO QOCHA – PACCHANTA:
After breakfast, you will start climbing toward the north face of Ausangate, this side is appreciated from Cusco city; you will arrive to Qomer qocha lake (4704m.a.s.l./ 15,429 ft) where you will have the lunch and visit the different color lakes that surrounds this place. After it, you will traverse the ridge and enter the watershed of Ninaparayoc Mountain with its lake below. A nice walk down this valley with Ausangate behind you, you have now completed almost a full circle around the mountain. Rolling hills now extend below you as you hike into Pacchanta to relax at the hot springs. Campsite close to the hot spring.
Hiking time: 8 hours
Hiking distance: (12 Km /7.45miles)
Highest point: (4704m.a.s.l./15429ft)
Optional: Camping at Qomer qocha
DAY 3: PACCHANTA – TINKI – CUSCO:
After breakfast, you will leave Pacchanta and start to walk way back to Tinki, which will last approximately 3 hours. Once in Tinki, you will board the transport that will take you back to the city of Cusco.
Hiking time: 3 hours
Hiking distance: (10 Km /6.2miles)
INCLUDED / NOT INCLUDED
- Pre Trek Briefing
- Transport from Cusco – Tinki – Cusco
- Entrance fee to Ausangate
- Professional bilingual guide
- All common camping gear: 3 men mountain tent for 2 people, mattress, kitchen dishes, kitchen tent, dinner tent, toilet tent, table, chairs.
- Cook and cooking equipment (Assistants are provided for larger groups)
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary (optional vegetarian food).
- Basic foam mattress. If you require greater comfort during the trek we can hire you an inflatable mattress (Thermarest)
- Horses (for equipment and personal items)
- 1 emergency horse which can be ridden if you are feeling ill or if you are a little slower (over 5 passengers we add 1 extra horse)
- We provide duffle bags at your briefing for your personal items (allowed 7kg/15pounds per person).
- First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Extra services not mentioned in the program
- Sleeping bag
- Additional horses for passenger’s luggage
- Entrance fees for the hot springs
- Walking stick